Thursday, July 21, 2011

Blended Gospels: A Centurian's Servant Is Healed

After he had finished all his sayings in the hearing of the people, he entered Capernaum. Now a centurion had a servant who was sick and at the point of death, who was highly valued by him.

When the centurion heard about Jesus, he sent to him elders of the Jews, asking him to come and heal his servant. And when they came to Jesus, appealing to him, "Lord, [the centurian's] servant is lying paralyzed at home, suffering terribly," they pleaded with him earnestly, saying, "He is worthy to have you do this for him, for he loves our nation, and he is the one who built us our synagogue."

And [Jesus] said to him, "I will come and heal him."

And Jesus went with them. When he was not far from the house, the centurion sent friends, saying to him, "Lord, do not trouble yourself, for I am not worthy to have you come under my roof. Therefore I did not presume to come to you.

"But only say the word, and my servant will be healed. For I too am a man under authority, with soldiers under me. And I say to one, 'Go,' and he goes, and to another, 'Come,' and he comes, and to my servant, 'Do this,' and he does it."

When Jesus heard this, he marveled and turning to the crowd that followed him, said, "I tell you, not even in Israel have I found such faith."

"I tell you, many will come from east and west and recline at table with Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob in the kingdom of heaven, while the sons of the kingdom will be thrown into the outer darkness. In that place there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth.

And to the centurion Jesus said, "Go; let it be done for you as you have believed."

And the servant was healed at that very moment.

And when those who had been sent returned to the house, they found the servant well.

[Blended Gospels: Matthew 8:5-13, Luke 7:1-10, ESV]

If this post got you to thinking, please leave a comment by clicking on the word "comments" below, and join the conversation

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for sharing your thoughts